Skip to main content

tv   Glenn Beck  FOX News  July 10, 2010 9:00pm-10:00pm EDT

9:00 pm
gar patterns. [ sarah ] with this tool i can see how food affects my numbers. i discovered what i can eat and how much. [ male annocer ] discor e accu-chek aviva system and save with a prescription discount card. start your discovery today. ♪ ♪ >> glenn: well, hello, america. i have a studio audience and they're raring to go. and i've got my pipe, because we're going to speak about schoolish kind of things. this is a pile of some of the textbooks. we're starting to collect textbooks here. feel free to send yours in. we're starting to do research on all of them. and find the stories that are printed in our textbooks and then compare them to what the
9:01 pm
truth is. and it is shocking! i've seen a lot of things in my life. i mean, i'm an alcoholic. trust me, i have stories. but the one thing that has shocked me more than anything else is reading history, reading history. you will start to read history, and if you, as jefferson said, question with boldness even the very existence of god, if you really start to question and you start to read, you will start to slip into a zone where you think okay, wait a minute. one of these is really wrong. you've been taught one lie, i think, your whole life. as i started my search for answers, through book after book after book, it became apparent that the history we're being taught isn't always right or most times, it just isn't the complete history, and so it makes it entirely inaccurate. sometimes it's because of, you know, somebody who is lazy, or lazy media that
9:02 pm
didn't care to find the real answers. sometimes it's because people do see things through a different prism. that's why you can have two people that witness a car accident but they will say something else, something different, each of them. that is natural. but the problems that we have with our history, many times, is malicious progressive intent. progressives have been changing history for about 100 years. they knew they had to separate us from the history to separate us from our constitution and god. when you look at the complete pictures of some of the most revered figures in history, when you look at the complete picture, all of a sudden you're shocked. every time we do this -- how many have seen "founders' fridays"? watch them? how many of you have looked at an episode and been a little hacked off at the end because you're like wait a minute, that's kind of an
9:03 pm
important piece of history? you have? you have watched it? yeah. it is, our history is being stolen from us. i saw a poll that came out, i don't know, a week or two ago that said the best president in the history of america. f.d.r., number one. in the top ten always. wilson. wilson and f.d.r., they did more to destroy the constitution than practically any other president or all other presidents, present presidents excluded, combined. f.d.r., wilson, both used emergency and war to justify, just running around the constitution. f.d.r. ran for a third and fourth term. there is a reason congress instituted official term limits for president after f.d.r. died. they didn't want him to happen again. well, how did they love him so much that they had to put
9:04 pm
term limits on the president? that doesn't make sense. that's because you're not receiving the full picture of f.d.r. most of us were never taught about the depression of 1920. who knew about the depression of 1920? anybody here? one -- two people. two people knew about the depression of 1920. why don't you know about it? because the way they fixed it. the way they fixed it isn't in the progressive playbook and it led to the roaring '20s. how about the near depression of 1946? has anybody heard about the near depression of 1946? we were about to -- yep. did you learn -- you learned it from this program. okay. why don't you know about that? because they cut spending and they lowered taxes. we were never taught about '20 or 1946. we were never taught about woodrow wilson.
9:05 pm
woodrow wilson was a racist of the first order. this guy was a spooky, spooky dude. he subverted the constitution. he locked people up. he invented propaganda. i mean state sponsored propaganda. he was the man that goebbels learned it from. f.d.r. what do we know about him? maybe, maybe you know he tried to stack the courts but you really don't know why or anything else. all you know is f.d.r. savered us from the great depression and woodrow wilson was the champion of the worker, because history has been changed. that's why my eyebrows raised when i heard michelle obama to say we needed to change our history. what does this mean, america? >> in other countries, we know we will have to make sacrifices, we have to change our conversation, we're going to have to change our
9:06 pm
traditions, our history, we're going to have to move into a different place as a nation to provide the kind of teacher we all want desperately for our children. >> glenn: why would we have to change our history? why would we have to change our traditions? i like our traditions. change our history. well, as you will see tonight, it's being done. i wonder if changing our history is what is happening with late senator robert byrd. he convinced 120 people to join the k.k.k. now people like bill clinton and barack obama coming out of the woodwork to defend this guy because he was, "just trying to get elected." it's okay to stand with people who are lynching, convince people to burn a cross in dude's yard because of the color of their skin because you're just trying to get elected? and yet conservatives are being called racists because they support arizona's
9:07 pm
immigration policy. this guy gets a pass for the k.k.k. because he was trying to get elected. he filibustered against the civil rights movement when he was 47. it's not a youthful indiscretion. look how the "new york times" portrayed strom thurmond. strom thurmond, foe of integration, dies at 100. same paper on the death of k.k.k. member and filibuster of the civil rights movement robert c. bird. byrd, a pillar of the senate, dies at 92. interesting to me both were written by the same person. adam climer. how could he see the two people so differently?
9:08 pm
you have to go beyond what the news tells you. you have to go beyond what the politicians tell you. you have to go beyond what i tell you. you have to come to your own conclusion about our history with facts. read original sources whenever you can. i'm convinced when you see the original words of people like margaret sanger or george washington, when you see the facts, the evidence is overwhelming. but either way, you've got to look at history, because you're not getting the complete truth. tonight we try to restore history of people who you think -- these books will tell you they were heroes and may be villains. some people who were villains may turn out to be heroes. with us tonight, larry schweikart, author of the new book "seven events that made america america." great book. he wrote "patriots history of the united states." every american should own that book in their home.
9:09 pm
burton fullsome jr. i learned more about f.d.r. in "new deal or raw deal: how f.d.r.'s economic legacy damaged america." and "myth of the robber barons." will you agree the progressive did it to change history? >> yes, sir. deliberately. >> glenn: why? >> it's what progressives do. they reshape the past in order to make policies for the present. that's the definition of historicism. it's brought over from germany by progressive, change history to justify what we want to do in the present. >> glenn: okay. this is "understanding by design," high school, new york city. this is a drafting template for curriculum unit plan. this is the curriculum for new york state schools on
9:10 pm
progressives. subject area, american history, progressive era. unit summary, progressivism was a reform movement that sought to correct the evils of big business practices, industrialization and unsanitary conditions brought about by urbanization. students will be able to see that the progressive leaders have come from different fields to reform the problems caused by industrialization. students will also understand that progressives' presidents tried to bring about reforms to improve american society. students will analyze the extend to which progressivism has impacted the future of the united states. nowhere here does it talk about the progressives like walter litman, margaret sanger. here it has several places where it talks about woodrow wilson. but in a positive light. let's start a little bit on
9:11 pm
woodrow wilson. tell me about woodrow wilson's position on race. >> he was an arch segregationist. he segregated the american armed forces. >> glenn: not segregated before he got in. >> yeah, and segregated the post office as well, which is difficult. but he did that. and he reduced the number of african-americans enrolled in the federal government. >> glenn: did he not also because he wanted to be a little more subtle, did he not also introduce if you were going to apply for a job in the federal government, suddenly, there needed to be a picture attached? >> yes. >> glenn: yes. >> the picture in the post office. one way to keep it segregated. >> glenn: okay. he also -- tell me about this. i've had it in my briefcase for a week and i haven't had time to watch this yet. a movie, if i'm not mistaken,
9:12 pm
wasn't it the first big silent movie? or first silent movie? >> yes. >> glenn: first big one? >> yes. >> glenn: tell me what it is. "birth of a nation." >> it's basically the history of the civil war and reconstruction seen through the eyes of a klansman. >> glenn: i don't know if this is true but i read this is based on wilson's writing. true or false? >> i don't know. >> glenn: you don't know. >> i've heard that but i haven't verified that. >> glenn: this movie, would you agree it's a racist movie? >> it is. >> glenn: it glorifies the klan. >> absolutely. >> glenn: this movie was premiered at the white house. it was shown at the white house for woodrow wilson, who claimed that it was one of the best movies, you know, of all time. it will really tell american history.
9:13 pm
tell me about what woodrow wilson did at the universities when african-americans wanted to apply. now at princeton, if i'm not mistaken there is the african-american scholarship. i think it's the woodrow wilson scholarship, is it not? and he said that if it was nonsense for something like this, for african-americans to try to get higher education, did he not? >> he certainly did believe blacks had the capabilities to finish. at least in large numbers. >> glenn: okay. so how did he get to be this guy who at best is neutral in the history books? because i'd love to hear your opinion on this. do you think that the theory that woodrow wilson really was the reason we had world war ii is accurate? he defanged britain. he forced britain intop
9:14 pm
dropping their ally japan, did he not? he really pushed with the league of nations the peace treaty and all of that debt that germany had. i mean, he's really the progressive ideas were the ones that set the world up for world war ii. >> he was an internationalist in that sense for sure. he wanted the league of nation, he wanted the power to gravitate toward the league of nation away from the united states. certainly or individual national entities. but i think it's his redistributionist policies that also make him popular with the textbook writers. when wilson came in, we didn't have an income tax, at least one operable. 13th amendment came in, in 1913. we get a progressive tax. taxing the rich more than others and the tax is raised up to over 70% by the time he gets out of office. >> glenn: he promises it will never go over 10%, didn't he? >> the initial promises. it was 7%. the first rate was 7%. but it's over 70%.
9:15 pm
of course, we have world war i coming in. >> glenn: which he promised would never be fought. "i'll keep you out of war." >> in 1920, when the war was over, the tax remained high. >> glenn: did he not say when america thwarted him on the league of nations, he said basedly what obama said, in healthcare. i haven't explained it enough. he went on a whistle train tour of america to try to explain it. when america rejected it, didn't he say -- i think i read this some place -- it's god's will and god won't be thwarted on this, right? >> he very much believed he was operating for god and it wouldn't be thwarted. thus, he was surprised when it was, in fact, thwarted. >> under the wilson administration, at least, that social justice started working its way in to the churches. was that part of woodrow
9:16 pm
wilson? >> this predates wilson. you get the theologians that believed in redistrict justice and sharing of all the goods. wilson believes he is, to quote john belushi, mission from god. he goes to versailles and he givings away the farm. he gives the britain what they want. they don't want a german army. whatever, no german navy. french don't want a german army. find. italians want land, fine, give them land. all i want is league of nations. he gets everything you can get to obtain something you can't have, which is international peace and love and harmony. >> glenn: that's when everybody went underground and progressivism got a bad name. >> very bad.
9:17 pm
>> glenn: so they changed to liberals and reappeared again under f.d.r. and put it all through. they learned. they learned from their mistakes. >> right. they did. but the 1920s, obviously, a very bad decade for progressives. >> glenn: yeah. >> we had budget surpluses every year. >> glenn: okay. when we come back, hillary clinton has said, well, she's not -- she's not a hero in all things. she doesn't, she knows she was a person that had some flaws. but she admires her. margaret sanger. let's introduce you to the real margaret sanger. another progressive hero when we come back.
9:18 pm
9:19 pm
9:20 pm
9:21 pm
>> glenn: if you want to learn the truth about history, sign up for insider extreme at glennbeck.com and watch friday features this week. top liberal lies based on larry schweikart's book "48 liberal lies." back with us, larry schweikart and burton folsom jr. before we go to margaret sanger, we were having a conversation offair talking about "birth of a nation," almost positive based on -- what is the book? >> "history of the united states" by woodrow wilson. it's a racist klan movie, that's all it is. we started to talk about it and in reconstruction. in the break, i asked abraham lincoln, i know this is a really controversial idea. i think abraham lincoln was a good guy but a lot of people in the south think abraham lincoln was a bad guy. good guy/bad guy?
9:22 pm
>> i like lincoln a lot. i realize he goes overboard in terms of many executive powers in the civil war. you can justify those by war-time needs. >> glenn: he gives them back. it's like washington, he could be a tyrant and he restores the right. that's important. >> what is amazing about lincoln, before he was elected president he does a speech where he talks about respect for the law and he means the constitution. he says we should teach this to every baby, every preacher in the pulpit ought to be preaching the constitution. you are talking earlier about the immigration pastors, do you think they're preaching the constitution? >> glenn: no. burton, you don't like him? >> i do. i think he had a great reverence for the constitution. he believed in natural rights. as larry was saying and you were saying, too, the problems that occurred in the war with the income tax, even progressive income tax, the newspapers being denied civil
9:23 pm
liberties and legislators carted off and put in jail and even the congressman having his constitutional liberties violated. all of that was done away with after the war and the nation went back on a path of redeeming a lot of the war debt. we have paid off in the 50 years after the civil war, we paid off half of the civil war debt. >> glenn: i think you guys are going for real, those are really good examples. the one i always hear on lincoln is he got rid of the state rights. but i actually went down to the civil war museum in the south and asked to see a copy of the constitution. they rolled out the real copy. i read it. that's not about the state rights. that's about the slavery. you are joining the confederacy, you don't have a right to drop out of slavery. you had to participate in slavery. >> there are three separate clauses in the confederate constitution dealing with slavery. one of them says even if a
9:24 pm
state alabama opts out of slavery it has to recognize the right of mississippien or floridians to bring slaves. it's clear what the document was about. >> glenn: not just allowing slavery but re-establishment of the slave trade. all right. go on to margaret sanger. in the history books, this is what they say about margaret sanger. boy, she was a princess! she started the first birth control clinic in 1916. we're taught she is a champion of women's reproductive rights. she joined the phrase "birth control" and founder of planned parenthood. in the infancy, the movement she led was a radical vision for reforming the world that made common cause with the socialist and the iww in challenging the limits of progressive reform. i don't think that goes far enough. she was, correct me if i'm wrong, trying to wipe out the, "negro race."
9:25 pm
>> yes. she started the negro project, where she tried to enlist black ministers and get them to go into their neighborhoods and tell black people not to reproduce. because in her words they're an unfit group. >> glenn: so she has those horrible, horrible ideas about negros and she said -- using her words. "negros." and she goes on to say we don't want the negro to know that we're trying to wipe them out. god forbid they catch on. why does she leave the country? she leaves the country. is she not kicked out to go to europe or -- she goes over and learns a more subtle way, does she not? >> yes. >> glenn: goes to europe and learns a more subtle way, eugenics which is popular and talked about birth control. she first starts talking
9:26 pm
about birth control it's because she recognizes that her overt racism can't be sold. correct? >> yes. >> glenn: am i wrong? >> she leaves out an important point. she gives a speech to a klan rally rally. >> what did she say? >> no record of what she said but one person said it's like we need to get rid of these unfit people. >> she was part of the eugenics movement, which was to breed a better person, breed a vbetter voter, right? >> yes. >> glenn: led to the -- it was american progressives eugenics movement that migrated over to europe. >> not all progressives were involved but many were. madison grant were involved in the eugenics. >> glenn: california was involved in it. big time, were they not? and they migrated eugenics to
9:27 pm
europe. there is the idea of aryan race and we'll breeded the ultimate race that led to gas chambers. >> where does all of this start and catch on in europe? public health. they are always claiming this is in the name of public health. we have to make sure unfit groups don't reproduce because they're damaging public health all done in the name of healthcare. >> glenn: when you see event of the day and you see ezekiel emanuel complete lives system, saying you won't get it early on, you won't get the healthcare late, it's important to understand the history of progressives, because you recognize things. they don't have to end the same way, but it's the same pattern they follow; is it not? >> it is. progressives want to redistribute wealth. they believe some people are entitled to more goods in society than others,
9:28 pm
literally entitled. whereas the founders believed in equal opportunity. so what you have, it's obvious. black americans are inferior, so we won't allow them as much opportunity as we do other groups. in eugenics, we have some people who are handicapped or have an infirmity and we don't want them reproducing, so we'll deny them certain rights or try to. some people are more equal than others. the progressive vision fits into this regularly. that's why youee eugenics, racism, become sometimes part of the progressive agenda. >> glenn: okay. next, we're going to go down with a couple of, i guess you would call them heroes - heroes -- villains. if you read the history books, they're villains. one of them in particular, rockefeller. both of these guys, hero. i am anxious to hear their case on that one. next.
9:29 pm
9:30 pm
9:31 pm
9:32 pm
i got an egg a candy necklace an orange a band-aid a stamp helium i got a mustache [pop] lipstick
9:33 pm
"special report." now back to glenn beck in new york. ♪ ♪ >> glenn: you are getting a ton of information today, american history without an agenda. the truth. if you want to learn more, go to glennbeck.com/extreme and sign up to be part of a history-based lecture series to get lessons from the best and brightest historians and
9:34 pm
scholars we could find. we have just started. we have three that we have announced, but wait until you see what we have coming. it's the summer of restoration, be a part of it at glennbeck.com. still with us, schweikart, author of "seven events that made america america." and burton folsom, jr., author of "new deal or raw deal: how f.d.r. economic legacy damaged america." we're looking through the history books and we' seeing who the villains are and who the good guys are. and what amazed me maybe three years ago when i came across the progressive movement, it amazed me. once you open up the progressive door, and you see, you start to see distortions everywhere. the world changes. you no longer ask how did we get here? it's the turn of the century. start with somebody i haven't studied, but somebody who i
9:35 pm
think is a bad guy. rockefeller, senior. you say he was a good guy. >> i think john d. rock feller is a wonderful american -- john d. rockefeller is a wonderful american. gives us cheap energy, makes america energy independent. at the time rockefeller comes on the scene, the major source of interior illumination was whale oil. in 20 years people quit using whale oil. he does more to save the whales than greenpeace. drives down the price of kerosene so low people substitute kerosene for whale oil. he gets nothing but grease for it. ucts of the oil that he was getting out of the ground only part of it was good for kerosene.herts, other oil drillers ended updrie tossing it into the river but as larry knows he became one of the first environmentalists because he believed all of thee parts in a barrel of oil would be useful. >> was he an environmentalist>n
9:36 pm
or a guy who was a good hatholic and said don't -- capitalist and said don't waste? >> he was a good capitalist ani said don't waste. at people don understand. they say i want to get off oil. everything, everything in our society is oil-based. this chair has petroleum buckets. the book has petroleum products, the curtain, the light. everything, our clothing is petroleum-based. >> much of those, that discovery was john d. rockefeller. he believed god wouldn't make something that was useless; so therefore, everything in the barrel of oil had to be useful. to get a research and development department at work to figure out what all the parts are good for. >> glenn: this is a part i have a problem with i haven't had time to really research and go to the robber baron and look at the guys, because i believe in capitalism and
9:37 pm
the free market. but these guys, you know, when rockefeller senior died, junior was told you must give this wealth away, because it's compounding at such a rate that your family will be crushed by the amount of wealth that you have. they had wealth of nations in their family. when you have that much wealth. it's easy to become really nasty. now i don't know how to solve that, i don't know how to do it other than the capitalist system. but when you amass rockefeller -- i mean is there anybody that has to kine of money now? >> rockefeller had enough to practically pay off the entire u.s. national debt himself. >> glenn: right. so there is nobody that has the kind of wealth that these guys had. >> carnegie was close. the need thing about carnegie is early, early in life when he had no hope of getting this kind of wealth, he says
9:38 pm
my goal in life is to give away $300 million. this is in 1800s when a dollar was a dollar. $300 million. he gives away $400 million. >> rockefeller gave away $500 million. >> they give away astounding amount of money. >> a lot of it is systemic work to solve scientific problems, boll weevil problems in the south. he gave away to help black universities and colleges. we only had one black college before the civil war and over 100 by the 1920s and '30s and rock feller is a benefit. >> glenn: give me the worst thing about him that's true. >> worst thing about rockefeller he tried to control the market. and he darn near succeeded. he achieved 70% concentration, and yet he never got what we call monopoly pricing. the price of oil and kerosene
9:39 pm
kept falling, the more he controlled the further down the price went and the consumers were happy. >> glenn: back in just a second.
9:40 pm
9:41 pm
[♪...] >> announcer: every child deserves the hope and healing of a children's miracle network hospital... [♪...] 170 hospitals helping 17 million kids each year. children's miracle network hospitals-- hospitals helping local kids.
9:42 pm
for information on how to help, visit childrensmiraclenetwork.org. >> glenn: back with larry schweikart and burton folsom jr., talking about restoring history and hero and villains and gerrard has a question. >> you talk about rockefeller giving his money away and guarantee giving his money away and sanger going to europe. the whole point of giving the money away was because he couldn't keep it all, because it would control too much. then if he gave people on the other side and in the united states money, he would empower them. but they knew where the money came from, they would owe him
9:43 pm
favors. so he controlled foreign land and here. sanger went over there with the form of population control to do the same thing in london. this is explained in the kissinger report. this is not just getting rid of negros here but getting rid of the downtrodden all over the world. he was not a good guy in that way. he was a control freak. >> we have to separate rockefellers. john d. i from john d. ii and the iii. jo john d i was giving to black colleges -- >> it was junior -- >> it was junior and the third with the foreign policy and the -- >> glenn: i agree with you,
9:44 pm
gerrard. >> in the appearance for us when we read history books, created the schools. but he created people that were dependent on him to stay in power. >> rockefeller retired by the 1900s and that is a movement that begins in the progressive era. [ inaudible ] >> that's true. >> glenn: that's what we were talking about, i don't know if you heard in the break. i said my problem is that, you know, that money can reach beyond the grave. i think it was vanderbilt who said the more money i have, the more i give my children, the more damage i do to them, because they don't have the struggle i have, that made me the man. >> it's interesting. burt has done a lot of research on the children of the so-called robber barons and i think it was billy
9:45 pm
vanderbilt was about the only one of the children who came anywhere close to the level of his father. >> it's the same story over and over again. that's why we have the hippie generation of the 1960s that were so rebellious. because their parents went through world war ii, the great depression, and they wanted to give their kids a strife-free life, so they did. and you're special and you'll never have to go through that. the children always rebelled. they always rebelled from that. quite honestly, i think turn in to monsters a lot of the time. >> john d. rockefeller would have been better served not to have started the rockefeller foundation and turned it over to his son. i agree. >> glenn: let's see, rodney, you have a question? >> how are you doing. growing up, i'm a very conservationists person, did a lot of hunting and growing up i learned teddy roosevelt
9:46 pm
was great conservationist. i want to know if you think of him as villain or hero. i thought of him as a hero, but now -- >> glenn: i tell you that theodore roosevelt -- and i haven't done enough homework on him -- i turned every stone over on woodrow wilson. i hate this guy. i haven't done my work -- i talked to, who is it r.j. postrido writing a book now on theodore roosevelt. i said r.j., i'm going to hate this guy, aren't i? he said, "oh, yeah, oh, yeah, you are." i think he had a lot of good things to him. i love his fierce independence. i love the idea he was, you know, he was really an american. you know, he said hyphen american names. we are all american. he was a conservationists, he did get that. but he also started the progressive party. he is the guy that, you know, said we're going to look at how that wealth is earned.
9:47 pm
if you can earn it as a benefit to the whole, well then we will let you earn it and keep some of it. then how do you spend it? no thank you. >> you know where it comes from? i think this is teddy roosevelt's greatest failing he did so many things in his life, incredible things he never ran and owned a business that had to make a profit. as a result, i don't think he got in touch to meet a payroll or worry about gee, are we going to be here next month and what is going to happen to my employees. >> you can help me on this. i see progressive as disease. some people don't see it like that. they say it's a good cancer. just because it will eat you
9:48 pm
slower, cancer is bad. i see progressivism as a cancer. it'd like your opinion on that when we come back in a second. yquúqú
9:49 pm
9:50 pm
9:51 pm
>> glenn: america, the one thing that you really have to wrap your arms around and you can disagree with me but do your own homework. final moments of larry schweikart and barton folsom jr. progressive movement is a conditioner is, as i said before -- is a cancer, cancer of the constitution. if you agree with it, great. be honest and move forward. but it's a cancer. woodrow wilson was deadly, quickly.
9:52 pm
theodore roosevelt was slower. tell me if you disagree. john mccain is theodore roosevelt and wilson is barack obama. but they're both progressives, the reason why i think that teddy roosevelt is dangerous, just like john mccain, you wouldn't have had the tea party movement and you wouldn't have had people necessarily waking up because it would have been slower, subtler. and there was -- >> there was an overtness to ted teddy roosevelt. he went after the railroad that had no subsidiaries and it beat ones that got federal subsidy and he initiated the hepburn act that regulated railroad to make it hard to compete. an element of roosevelt that went after business and markets, very, very hard. >> glenn: wasn't it important? i know the pennsylvania railroad was the first one i can't remember the name of
9:53 pm
the guy, but the guy who built pennsylvania station was the first to say no -- [ inaudible ] we're not paying bribes, et cetera, et cetera. he depended on roosevelt to break that graft up, wasn't he? >> you are talking about the northern security debt? >> glenn: yeah, i'm talking about -- yes. about 1904. >> 1904. >> glenn: i thought it was 1902. but roosevelt needed to come in and clean that up, did he, or not? >> when you clean james hill out of the picture or prevent him from consolidate the two railroads he had, you work against the one man who was able to achieve railroad building without -- the transcontinental railroad without federal subsidy. >> glenn: lynn, you had a question? >> my question was in the progressive movement and the original roots. how did public education play a role in that with our founders such as john dewey,
9:54 pm
big advocates of public education? >> well, you know, that's a great question. >> good question. >> the answer goes to the essence of reform, i keep coming -- of progressivism, i keep coming back to this, is reform. it's all about reforming. to what? to perfection. the idea whether they're children, whether they're corporations, whether they're city governments, you can if you just keep reforming them long enough, you will finally get to perfection. it's a view that denies human sin. i hate to go there. but that is the point, denies human sin. >> glenn: it's the collective salvation. if you look at it, it really is the whole misunderstanding of humans can be perfect, if you just have administrator administrate all the time and keep them in a box. humans can be perfect, which is a lie. and that there is collective salvation, that we will all be saved together. right? >> exactly. >> glenn: so it is really kind of, the roots of it --
9:55 pm
>> the roots, yes. >> glenn: -- are extraordinarily spiritual, evil, really. right? >> yes. >> john dewey was a progressive. he was a progressive. supported the progressives. >> but the whole idea, maybe this will answer your question, the whole idea was they needed to connect -- disconnect us from the founders because we talked about our founders. we learned how great these guys were. so we modelled ourselves after them. we talked about the constitution, which stopped them from moving progress. when wilson got in, he hated the constitution. hated it. it was an old dusty document. the other was religion. they had to process past the three things and the key was education. change the history. does that answer your question? >> well, studying the history was not even that important. >> glenn: no, no. it's what michelle obama said. >> sure. >> glenn: change the history. make it old, outdated.
9:56 pm
make it -- a progressive movement, the first time that we had heard that the guys were just rich, white people. it's amazing that the biggest racist of the 20th century were progressives and they called founders racists. amazing. back in a second. [ applause ]
9:57 pm
9:58 pm
9:59 pm
[ applause ] >> glenn: we want to leave you with one story that is fascinating about coca-cola. larry? >> the f.d.a. under roosevelt goes after coca-cola on the grounds it supposedly has cocaine in it. when they had a big trial, they can't show there is any cocaine in it. they then turn around and try to sue coke for false advertising. >> glenn: but there is no cocaine in it. that's big government at its best

41 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on